Like the dream symbol of a snake, a crocodile appearing in your dream indicates someone will deceive or betray you.
It represents enemies you didn’t know you had, and impending changes in your life you couldn’t predict. Crocodiles also embody power, wisdom, the ability to adapt, and strength.
These animals are long-lived, and when they’ve appeared in our myths and stories, it’s usually as a sneaky villain with a master plan.
Like the snake, they’re admired for their power and strength, so they’re also used as a symbol of protection. Essentially, this means the crocodile in your dream is a good sign.
You cannot trust someone in your life, as either they’ll be dishonest or they’ll betray you in some way, and this will become clear in the future. It’s also a symbol of having power over other people, and the importance of wielding this power carefully.
While they embody the worst traits people are capable of, it’s also a warning. You’ll be able to prevent the worst, because you are forewarned.
Dreaming of a crocodile fighting indicates future conflict in your life. Seeing someone else fighting a crocodile in your dream is good luck for the future. The Difference between a Crocodile and an Alligator
It’s important to note which reptile you dreamed of, as this can change the meaning of the dream.
The crocodile as a dream symbol is more aggressive than an alligator, so if you dreamed of being attacked, it was more likely to be a crocodile. In nature, an alligator is more picky in choosing what to attack, and if it’s worth the risk or the effort involved.
You can also tell the difference in the shape of the snout. The crocodile’s is more of a V-shape, and the alligator’s snout is a U-shape.
Both crocodiles and alligators have poor eyesight, and your dream can suggest you’re not seeing things clearly. You’re lashing out at people you don’t need to, or you’re seeing an “attack” on you where there isn’t one.
Crocodiles can suggest someone in your life is not being entirely truthful. They might be telling you an outright lie to your face, or they may be lying by omission to spare you.
Crocodile Dream Symbolism
Your crocodile dream signifies that someone is lying to you, and this might be a small lie or something much bigger.
As a dream symbol, crocodiles are connected to your subconscious, as they move between water (emotion) and the earth (the physical world), relating to your instincts, inner feelings and wisdom.
Freud theorized that a crocodile appearing in a dream indicates an inherent aggressive nature, which is one interpretation. There are many others, and it’s worth trying to remember the details of your dream to find the meaning.
If you dream of a particularly large crocodile, this indicates that you’re unsure of your emotions, or you need to look at them again when it comes to your relationships.
Can you trust your own instincts, or are they too wrapped up in your emotions?
The Detailed Meaning Behind Your Crocodile Dream
How you interact with the crocodile in your dream and what feelings it provokes also change the meaning of the dream. If the crocodile lies on a bank but doesn’t move, something will encroach on your happiness in the future.
Dreaming of a large crocodile indicates the wisdom that comes with experience and age. It suggests you need to be patient, or you need to search for wisdom in a current situation.
Dreaming of a crocodile in dark or murky water indicates that your vision in waking life is obscured. You can’t see what you need.
If you dream of being a crocodile, this is your subconscious telling you to stop leaning on your set routine. It’s time to focus on what you really want, and how you can get there. Your routine might be safe – you know the outcomes, after all, but it won’t help you grow.
Killing the crocodile denotes recognizing the dishonesty and dismantling a charged situation before it can come to a head. It might even be your own behavior which is causing an issue, where you’re stressed and have a much shorter temper than those around you deserve. This dream indicates future success, and dealing with what could have been a huge problem.
Dreaming of being bitten by a crocodile suggests that you’ll be drawn to the glamour of an opportunity, but the reality will be hugely different. The novelty will wear off quickly, or it will be better than you thought when you started.
If you’re being chased by a crocodile in your dream, your subconscious is calling you to recognize the potential destructive power people can have over your life. These animals also embody a fear of death, and of the unknown.
Dreaming of a crocodile in water represents how your emotions will trip you up in the near future, or someone you trust isn’t being honest with you. You won’t be able to see things clearly, as your emotions will affect your ability to be objective.
Being face-to-face with a crocodile indicates you have all the tools you need to overcome any obstacle, so long as you believe you do. You’ll face down your problems with very little worry, if any comes to mind at all.
Spotting a crocodile from a distance suggests you’ll similarly be able to tell when someone is being dishonest or dishonorable.
A crocodile attempting to hunt you indicates that people will recognize your future success, but they might not have the best intentions. Some might want to see you fail. Alternatively, someone who has your best interests at heart will let you down – but you know that they won’t mean to, and you’ll both move on from the mistake.
If a crocodile manages to catch you or bite you, you’ll have some financial trouble. It also embodies current feelings of worry, or other people’s opinions of you, and how this is affecting your actions. You’re too worried about what other people think, rather than focusing on how to make your life into what you want the most.
Treading on a crocodile which you didn’t see in your dream denotes hidden problems which will soon make themselves known. If you move before the crocodile can attack, these problems won’t be problems for very long.
Dreaming of a bright green crocodile like a cartoon indicates that someone very close to you will be dishonest in the future, and this may cause future trust issues, depending on the reason why they lied.
Dreaming of a dead crocodile floating in the water denotes professional success, and a dream that provokes positive emotion indicates security and contentment in the future. It indicates your ability to adapt to any situation that comes your way.
In Your Dream, If:
- A crocodile attacks you: this is a sign of good luck for the future. While you will experience some problems, they’ll soon be dealt with. You’ll be able to enjoy the period of peace they leave behind.
This dream also indicates that you have some unrealized potential which you should utilize in the future. It will lead you to something in life that you’d never have expected, something that you’ll enjoy the hell out of.
- You’re swallowed by a crocodile: you’ll feel sorry for yourself during a problematic period, but it will end up doing some good. It’ll take you further along a spiritual journey, and you’ll be better at predicting people’s behavior.
You may even forgive yourself or someone else for something. Lingering past situations or miseries will finally release their hold on you.
- A crocodile chases you: this indicates you’ll need to overcome obstacles in order to move on. It suggests that you’ll enjoy the freedom to express yourself truly after the problems are over.
However, you may feel insecure or vulnerable, and you’ll need to find a way past this. You may feel like you can’t confront someone who you know to be dishonest, but you might need to in order to move on.
- You see a crocodile’s tail: someone is gossiping about you, behind your back. Crocodiles use their tail to shove their prey into deeper water, where they will struggle to fight to survive.
Maybe someone’s thought about how best to disarm you for a while, and they’re now making their move – are you in competition with someone? You’ll need to guard your back in your professional life, someone may try to get ahead using underhanded means.
- There are two crocodiles: two people are in on a secret that concerns you, or they’re conspiring against you. If you kill or defeat these crocodiles in your dream, you’ll overcome them with ease in waking life.
If you’re afraid of these two, this indicates that you’re worried someone close to you will deceive or betray you. You cannot prevent everything, and trying can result in more worry than when you started.
- There are many crocodiles: think twice about a decision you’ve been mulling over. Make sure you’ve considered it from every angle you can think of. Alternatively, it’s time to put into action a plan you’ve been playing with, or a project you’ve always wanted to do.
This dream can also indicate there’s a lot of dishonest people in your life, and you need to lean on your loved ones for support in the future. It might be vital to keep yourself among people. Don’t isolate yourself for the sake of being suspicious of someone, as that could cause you further problems.
- A crocodile is on a river bank: you may feel used in a relationship, and you need to be honest about how you feel. Your emotions might hamper your ability to make decisions, and you need to do some introspection soon. You need to move ahead in life, despite your misgivings about some people.
You feel watched, or judged by someone in power. A parental figure, your boss, or an older sibling. Do what feels right to you, not what you think other people’s opinion of right or wrong is. You can only be true to yourself.
- A crocodile is in a cage: this indicates you feel trapped, and this will have something to do with the people in your life. Perhaps responsibilities will get too much for you, or a relationship will turn sour.
Someone will try to change people’s opinions about you for the worse. It can also suggest the guard you’ve put up to protect yourself will stop you from living your life to the full.
Alternatively, you’ll place someone untrustworthy in a position where they cannot move against anyone without being discovered. This will either result in them being caught, or them conspiring against you, and either way, you’ll need to be careful.
- A crocodile eats someone: while this can represent someone in your life that means you harm, this dream also signifies that you have a lot of power over your own future. Remember what you want, and go after it.
Alternatively, someone in your life will be taken in by lies, which you may or may not see coming. Be wary of how you approach this situation, as you don’t want to push your loved one away and make things worse.
- A baby crocodile appears: this signifies innocence, immaturity, or inexperience. You may be sick of someone’s impulsive behavior, or someone in your life is being dishonest or even harmful. It can also represent your caring nature toward others, and how this will enrich your life.
This dream can indicate you’ll guide someone with the wisdom you’ve learned, and help them along the path they need to take spiritually. Maybe they’re going where you’ve been before, and you’ll be able to prevent them from making the same mistakes.
- You kill the crocodile with a knife: this dream symbolizes how you’ll have a lot of freedom in the future, as a result of letting go of any negative forces in your life. You’ll be free to shape the life you want. Something will work out for the best.
Is it time to go after the thing you’ve always wanted? Is now a good time to reach out to the person you’ve always been drawn to? You won’t know if you don’t try.
- A crocodile tries to break through a door to get to you: you’re protected from the worst things in life, if you manage to keep the crocodile out. You have the best support network you could ask for, and people who are willing to help you through, no matter what.
Someone is attempting to deceive you, or a situation is much trickier than you first expected, and you may need to rethink your approach or devote more time to solving the problem at hand.
If the crocodile manages to break through the door, this is a warning dream. You need to approach something differently, or reconsider your opinion of someone and how they may act in the future.
The Crocodile In Other Cultures
Other cultures have interesting interpretations of why crocodiles appear in dreams. Crocodiles are either respected or feared, or both, depending on which culture you look at.
They are represented as cunning, as often crocodiles won’t strike until they’re sure their prey has checked around for predators, and begins to relax.
The Islamic interpretation is similar to the widely believed notion that the crocodile signifies someone you cannot trust, and it’s a sign of misfortune, or unlawful behavior.
Crocodiles in Hinduism
Similarly, the Hindu interpretation of a crocodile dream is that it’s a bad sign for the future. You may be too concerned with issues of money, and not the things that run deeper. Within Hinduism, a deity called Mahara embodies the crocodile, and guards gateways, thresholds, and carries the river goddess Ganga upon his back.
Crocodiles in Ancient Egypt
In Ancient Egypt, Sobek was the god of fertility, represented the power of the Pharaoh, military might, and protected people from the dangers of the Nile.
He was often depicted with a human body and the head of a crocodile. He was one of the longest revered gods, originating from the Old Kingdom and lasting through the Roman period.
One of the oldest Pyramid Texts in the Old Kingdom praises the pharaoh as the incarnation of Sobek. While a fierce figure that can be aggressive, he’s also capable of great kindness.
In the myths of the Middle Kingdom, Sobek helped put Osiris back together, and this is where the symbol of protection originates. He was able to ward off evil or the consequences of evil, and many mummies of crocodiles were made in his image.
Ammit, which translates to “devourer of the dead” was both a goddess and a demon in Egyptian myth. She had the head of a crocodile, the front body of a lion, and the rest of a hippo. Her job was to eat the hearts of those who were judged unworthy to enter the afterlife, Duat, whose hearts were heavier than the feather of truth.
Derived from Sobek, the Greeks called their version of the crocodile god Suchos, which embodied similar qualities to Sobek.
The Biblical Symbolism of the Crocodile
Crocodiles are represented to be a symbol of evil, deceit, and dictatorship within the Bible. In Ezekiel 32, the description of a crocodile symbolized the Pharaoh’s power over those who were less powerful. The Pharaoh is “like a monster in the seas, thrashing about in your streams, churning the water with your feet, and muddying the streams.”
The Spiritual Interpretation Behind Your Crocodile Dream
A crocodile in your dreams in spiritual terms suggests that a current chapter of your life is drawing to a close. It will require you to gain more wisdom before you can move onto the next chapter of your life, or you will struggle to move forward.
You need to remain in touch with your instincts and the current inner wisdom you possess, in order to avoid problems in the future. You may need to protect what is yours in the future.
You may have lost touch with your instincts or feel disconnected from your intuition, but as a crocodile moves freely from land to water, this ability is inherent within you. Harnessing this will allow you to live at your best, and become the best version of yourself that you can be.
If you dream of taming a crocodile, or subduing its anger or its violence, you’ll overcome a situation which has deceived you, or forgive someone who has been deceitful. You’ll resolve any current issues, and any problems with your own anger or aggressive nature will abate.
In Your Dream, You May Have
- Seen a crocodile in the distance.
- Been chased by a crocodile.
- Been attacked by a crocodile.
- Been bitten by a crocodile.
- Seen more than one crocodile.
- Calmed a crocodile.
- Seen someone else get attacked by a crocodile.
Positive Changes Are Coming, If
- You didn’t feel nervous when you saw the crocodile.
- You realized who the “crocodile” was.
- You drove off the crocodile.
- You escaped the crocodile unharmed.
- You fought the crocodile and won.
- You ate the crocodile instead of it eating you. Go figure.
Feelings You May Have Experienced During Your Crocodile Dream
Anxious. Shocked. Terrified. Worried for your life. Ready to defend yourself. Tired. Angry. Furious. Not in control of your emotions.
A Summary of Your Crocodile Dream
- The crocodile represents someone who is dishonest, or someone who is a thief, or a situation which is not what it appears to be.
- Dreaming of a crocodile emerging from water suggests someone will take something important from you, or will take advantage of you when your guard is down.
- A crocodile on land in your dream is a sign of good luck. You’ll be able to spot any problems from far away, and resolve them before they can become a crisis.
- Dreaming of eating a crocodile represents overcoming enemies, or your own emotions.